Cirba Solutions to collect your spent batteries at Celebrate Science Indiana 2022 on Saturday, October 1
- Posted by Larry Sernyk
- On August 14, 2022
Have old batteries? Bring them to Celebrate Science Indiana “Protecting our Earth” event on Saturday, October 1st in the Elements Financial Pavilion at the Indiana State Fairgrounds from 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. Cirba Solutions will be hosting a booth to collect your spent batteries to recycle and have a hands-on booth for kids of all ages to learn more about battery recycling.
We are collecting household batteries, such as AA, to D, to power tools battery packs, plus small electronics such as cell phones, tablets, and laptop batteries. Please no lead acid car batteries at this event. Not sure how to recycle your batteries? Use this FLYER to help guide you through preparing your batteries to be recycled.
The world is changing fast, and sustainability is at the forefront for individuals and corporations. Action needs to be taken now. “We are servicing the needs of today and supporting our future generations with sustainable solutions for the planet,” said David Klanecky, President & CEO. Cirba Solutions is a proud partner with Celebrate Science Indiana to engage the festival attendees in interactive STEM-related activities that help drive such action.
“We make battery recycling easy and available to everyone” according to Danielle Spalding, VP, Marketing and Communications. One way to help educate about battery recycling is using the 5 ‘C’s that the team uses:
- Chemistry: What words can be found on the battery? If it says “lithium,” it must have the terminals protected when collected for recycling. Use a clear plastic tape, like scotch tape. The whole battery does not need to be covered, only the contact ends.
- Capacity: Is the battery or battery pack more than 9 volts? If so, the terminals of the unit need to be taped. This applies to items like cordless tool batteries. Very high-capacity batteries for vehicles and other equipment may require further special packaging.
- Construction: How is the battery built? The construction of a battery factors into how it can be transported and recycled. If a battery says “nonspillable” or “sealed,” it can be put with other common household batteries. Some batteries may have protected terminals by design and do not need to be taped.
- If a battery contains spillable liquids or is an electric / hybrid vehicle battery, work with Cirba Solutions to find the best solution to recycle.
- Cracked (or Swollen): Lithium-based batteries that are cracked or swollen, or are affected by a recall, qualify as “damaged, defective or recalled” and require special packaging for storage and transport.
- Container: Is the battery recycling container rated to contain the batteries that have to be recycled? Many curbside collection programs do not accept batteries, consumers must utilize other programs. Some collection units are rated to carry all types of batteries, while some may have restrictions to specific chemistries. Read the details on the recycling container to make sure it covers the shipping and recycling needs for the batteries.
EV demand is expected to increase lithium-ion battery recycling supply 25x by 2040. Diverting materials from landfills coast-to-coast, 36 million pounds of lithium has been recycled by Retriev Technologies & Battery Solutions, and 44,000 electric vehicles.
Cirba Solutions is the only complete service provider in the battery management industry with an operational, differentiated platform and a full suite of capabilities to address lithium-ion and cross-chemistry battery demand and enable a circular battery supply chain for the industry. They are the leader in end-to-end battery recycling management solutions, offering battery-centric logistics, collection program solutions, second-life applications, and validating cathode production, with technological processes that emphasize environmental compliance. Cirba Solutions combines the resources and expertise of Heritage Battery Recycling, Retriev Technologies, and Battery Solutions.
We thank you in advance for your part in recycling batteries. Hope to see you at the Cirba Solutions booth on Saturday, October 1st!
REGISTER HERE for Celebrate Science Indiana 2022: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/celebrate-science-indiana-tickets-378360916687. Registration not required to attend, but it will help us plan. Thank you!